I can’t believe it’s almost time to run the river! I’ve waited 4 years to run this race! I wanted to originally run the marathon, but I am just as excited to run the Mississippi River Half Marathon on Saturday. I had not planned on setting a time goal, but after using Jeff Galloway’s run/walk method, I just might be able to reach my goal.
1. Time goal: 2 hours and 25 minutes. Not sure I will be able to swing it due to warm weather conditions settling in Greenville this weekend, but I will try my best!
2. Do not get too hot! The weather will be in the upper 50’s to start and end up in the 60’s. It’s not terrible conditions, but I get hot really fast and run better when the weather is in the 30’s and 40’s. I just don’t get as tired running in cold weather.
3. Hydrate! I have a PRE-hydration ritual the day before any race no matter if it’s a 5k or a half marathon. I drink at least four 20 ounce bottle of half Gatorade half water. Why? Because my cardiologist told me to years ago when I was training for the Hotter than Hades Half in Greenville. That half was in June and temps reached upper 80’s. I finished that one feeling great because I drank plenty the day before and carried a bottle during the race. I’m planning on packing my water bottle just in case I decide to use it. I don’t run as well with it, but I don’t want to get dehydrated for sure!
4. Take more pictures! I am bad about not taking many pics on the course mainly because my phone is so big, it’s hard to get it in and out of my flip belt. I tried to take a lot of pictures at the St. Jude Half in 2015 and fumbled several minutes trying to stuff it back in my belt! Lol. Now, I was actually trying to PR that race and I definitely won’t be attempting a PR on Saturday. I hope to get a picture with my friend, Angela, from Race Addict. I haven’t seen her in several years! I’m excited to see her this weekend!
5. Have fun!!! Even though the weather conditions will be warmer than I would like, I am really excited about running from Arkansas back over the Mississippi River bridge into my home state. This will be another home state race I can check off my list! Who knows, maybe I will run the marathon one day!
Do you have a favorite home state race? Hope y’all are having a great week!